• Top Members
    Reps
    2585 Replies
  • 716 Replies
    2025 Replies
  • 331 Replies
    1928 Replies
Our minions are trying to make the site more secure by encasing the server in a cage made of solid SSL-ium which may throw up some issues when using the site for the next few hours. Bear with us while we weld this thing together and we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Mac Minis really cheap on Ebay

hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner

Mac Minis really cheap on Ebay

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Hey Guys and Gals

Recently ( in the last 6 months) I have bought 3 Mac Minis, these are the older ones 2009/10 which will run snow leopard/mountain lion/ Mavericks. I bought each one for approx £60.00 GB Pounds and 2 were free postage, as you may well know snow leopard has Boot Camp built in which is great as you can run Windows 7/8/ 10 on a separate partition along side the Mac op/sys. When i got my Mac Minis I changed the Processor and upped the ram and was able to get Mountain Lion on a Mac that supposedly does not support it and on another thread online I was able to get and use a piece of software that tricks the Mac allowing you to get it to run Mavericks by booting and installing it from a Thumb Drive.

So if you are thinking you need a mac for coding but don't have a lot of cash then Look on Ebay for the older type. Upgrading the processor to a 2.4 GHZ cost me less than £5.00 and the Ram was £8.00.

Respect

Chris
Last edited by hungryhounduk on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

smashapps
Coding Guru

Re: Mac Minis really cheap on Ebay

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:00 am

Nice thanks for the tip. I don't think it will be that cheap here to upgrade it though. Where did you buy the upgrades from? Were they from ebay too?
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!

hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner

Re: Mac Minis really cheap on Ebay

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:28 am

Hey
Yeah the Processor and ram were both bought off eBay, I am in the UK so maybe things here might be a bit cheaper than other countries.

Respect

Chris

Return to “MAC”