Chat Room App System WorldWide (NO LAN)

Do you need something made? then ask in here.
Forum rules
Please LOCK your topics once you have found the solution to your question so we know you no longer require help with your query.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
Contributors
Miklo
Just Registered
Just Registered

Hello Everyone! I was wondering if someone could help me Create a simple Chat Room System for everyone to be able to Join the Chat. Please notice that Its not a LAN Chat that I am talking about. But a simple Chat Room for everyone to join and chat with eachother. I am not sure if its possible with VBNET only. Maybe some PHP and MYSQL work needed too.

A friend of mine told me to instead use IRC, and I have found some great IRC Tutorials online, but the problem is that that I am not able to use KICK, BAN or other commands on any of the IRC Chats online. I was wondering if we could create a simple chat using some PHP and VBNET and then later add our own Options, for such as banning and ETC.

Please let me know if its possible, because I am not good in VBNET. But I will be the first to help out if anything needed regarding php codings or mysql.

God bless and Happy New Year
visualtech
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

I can surely help you write the Chatroom in PHP/MySQL backbone :) PM me if interested
Miklo
Just Registered
Just Registered

Thanks for the reply and a genuine offer. What about VBNET ? I mean I do have lots of php experience myself, but was mostly looking to build something in vbnet.

I hope to get a VBNET Chat Solution..
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Miklo,

Since the day the site was launched we've had people ask about making chat software because they want to make something like MSN or a big scalable chat portal of some kind.

It can be done in .Net BUT there is no quick and easy way to do it, if there was then we would all be doing it by now :lol:

Making a LAN chat is relatively simple but when it comes to making it work across the internet that's something entirely different. First you need to make a client and server, then solve the problem of getting through peoples many different router/firewall settings so the thing can connect and stay connected, then if you managed to do that you would then probably need a small warehouse full of servers switched on 24/7 to handle all the users and data being transferred lol.

mandai posted a good basic example using sockets here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6747&start=0#p50222

Here's a link to some socket tutorials, if you look near the bottom of the page you will see a list of links to various tutorials and downloads: http://vb.net-informations.com/communic ... amming.htm
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
Filip
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Hello,

I would suggest you to stick with php and html5's websockets. Although for production mode, you would need some sort of vps since 4ever has to be started from command line.
CodenStuff wrote:
Nope, it's just your sick and dirty mind. You sick twisted warped little pervo :D
XTechVB
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

A Worldwide chat system like Yahoo or MSN, has nothing to do with PHP or HTML, for that you need a server and a software designed specifically to handle requests from the client app.
You can find me on Facebook or on Skype mihai_92b
Filip
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

XTechVB wrote:
A Worldwide chat system like Yahoo or MSN, has nothing to do with PHP or HTML, for that you need a server and a software designed specifically to handle requests from the client app.
Well everything is moving to web, why wouldn't chat move as well?
Also MSN had web version but it was discontinued due to Skype. I think Yahoo has a web version as well.
CodenStuff wrote:
Nope, it's just your sick and dirty mind. You sick twisted warped little pervo :D
XTechVB
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Also MSN had web version but it was discontinued due to Skype. I think Yahoo has a web version as well.
You must understand that PHP is just not capable to handle a chat system of that magnitude (i mean millions of clients) even if it was it would have been very slow, there is only one way to make a chat system like that, a High Speed Server and a Software that would handle incoming/outgoing messages, file, pictures, etc...
You can find me on Facebook or on Skype mihai_92b
Filip
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

XTechVB wrote:
You must understand that PHP is just not capable to handle a chat system of that magnitude (i mean millions of clients) even if it was it would have been very slow, there is only one way to make a chat system like that, a High Speed Server and a Software that would handle incoming/outgoing messages, file, pictures, etc...
Well no offence but the thing he's trying to achieve probably won't get millions of users. But it doesn't depend on strenght of language but strenght of hardware and scalability of the same. Facebook itself has millions of users at the same time and it's run on PHP.
CodenStuff wrote:
dualz
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

mssql is another alternative with service broker and a couple of scripts, as you can setup routines that will automaticly remove records every 24 hours based off sessions or what ever.

with service broker allows you to send and recieve data in real time so the message will be almost instantanious.

but here lies the issue although mssql is a great tool, which i live by in all my software coding, the more data that is going to be passed around the server the more load that will be required.
Dualz
Co-Owner TADStools Network
  • Microsoft Systems Engineer
    Microsoft Software Engineer
    Cisco Certified Network Engineer
    Programming Languages: Delphi, Python, Cron, PHP, HTML, ASP.Net, Cold Fustion, VB.net, C, C++, C#, XAML, IOS, Android, Java, ASM
11 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Tutorial Requests”