Full site makeover - 2015

Need help with the website or have you spotted an error or do you have any suggestions on how tom improve the site please let us know in here.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Contributors
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full site makeover - 2015
CodenStuff
Hello Coders and stuffers,

lol I may use that, let users choose a class for themselves..are you a Coder or other Stuffer :lol:

About 18 months ago the site was given a new look based on the original design but designed to look a bit more modern and fancier. I think it turned out quite well and was a huge improvement on how it use to look, but I think we've outgrown it now and it is already starting to feel old and outdated compared to today's modern websites.

After taking a long hard look at the site and hours of "Umming", "Arring" and head and chin scratching I've decided that the site needs a makeover.

BUT its not only the style that's outdated, its the site code itself. Some features work and work really well while others work but are quite glitchy and if I'm honest a lot of the code behind some of our older functions and features is just a complete mess and we have loads of files and hundreds of lines of code that just don't need to be here any more and/or need fixing and updating.

So when I say makeover, what I really mean is a do-over.

I'm scrapping the entire site and starting again from the beginning.

Obviously the site data, posts and users etc will be saved...so don't worry about that.

The "new" site will use the latest version of phpBB as its base - the software works so there really isn't any need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

On top of that a new modern template will be created to bring the site in to the 21st century with a look and feel that people expect from today's modern sites and the devices they use to interact with them.

On top of that ALL the site features will be re-coded, we will keep some and improve upon them and ditch the ones that are no longer used. NEW features will be created to bring new content and users of all ages and skill levels to the site, with schools reintroducing programming in to the classroom a new generation of coders are emerging and we should embrace them - Codenstuff.com should be the place where they want to come!.

It will be a big job and will take a while to complete but it will happen and in 2015 it will all change for the better.

I don't know if I can do it alone though, I will need people who know web design and php.

My main concern is the backend PHP side of things, coding new features isn't always easy and can take a long time to get right so I would be grateful to anyone who knows PHP and phpBB that could help me get things done.

In the meantime if anyone has any ideas of type of design/layout we should go for then let us know and post some examples, screenshots, links to sites you like the look of that we can take inspiration from.

Help make this site the best it can be and lets build it together cooll;
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

Re: Full site makeover - 2015
comathi
I can most definetely help with the design part of things, especially if you're planning on catering to multiple devices (responsive design).

I could also help with implementing some of the features if you want, but I'm sure there are other members with a lot more experience than myself ( #Filip, get yo a** over here right now :lol: )

Anyway, looking forward to the changes and looking forward to helping out cooll;
zachman61
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

zachman61
If you're planning a re-do of the site, why not hop over to a better forum software such as myBB?
Nailing my feet to the floor is easier than using my own muscles to balance, but you don't see me doing that :)
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

smashapps
I am looking forward to the new website design :)
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
NoWayIn
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

NoWayIn
Looking forward to the new site.
I was wondering when CnS would get a make over :D
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
#zachman61 well I don't think there is much difference between phpbb and mybb, plus I already have experience working with and modifying phpbb and I don't want to mess around too much with database. The latest stable release of phpbb (3.0.12) works really well and as I said I don't really want to go reinventing the wheel - stick with what works and the site update will go a lot quicker and smoother.

#comathi yes I could use some help with the design, I'm currently investigating twitters bootstrap which seems to have everything we need and I've found a phpbb template that uses it and I'm playing around with it and seeing what can be done. Have you ever used bootstrap and what do you think of it?

What I'll probably do is create a "demo" site and upload the template/system as and when it's updated so everyone can see how its going and make suggestions in terms of layout and features. In fact I'll do that later and show you what I'm playing with and hopefully you can help me out with my rubbish web coding skills lol.
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
zachman61
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

zachman61
#CodenStuff, I understand not wanting to tamper with the DB, it could cause trouble.

I'd be up for assisting when I'm not busy, should be fun to help remake the site :P. I don't have much experience with phpbb though.
Nailing my feet to the floor is easier than using my own muscles to balance, but you don't see me doing that :)
visualtech
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

visualtech
#CodenStuff Database engineer reporting for duty! Twitter Bootstrap, nah not really. Use Semantic UI (Simplistic Responsive) :) If you want a custom CSS framework, I can make one specifically for CnS :)
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

comathi
CodenStuff wrote:

#comathi yes I could use some help with the design, I'm currently investigating twitters bootstrap which seems to have everything we need and I've found a phpbb template that uses it and I'm playing around with it and seeing what can be done. Have you ever used bootstrap and what do you think of it?
Hey #CodenStuff,

I've heard of Twitter Bootstrap but haven't really used it. I've been using Skeleton for responsive websites and it's worked great so far.

Twitter Bootstrap does have a lot more components, though, which might be of use if you don't feel like making everything from scratch :D

I'll look into it, although it's probably not much harder to use than the other frameworks cooll;
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
I've asked this question a few times in the past but due to various reasons and limitations I wasn't able to add a lot of the features requested.

Now it is completely different.

As I mentioned earlier the site will be completely reconstructed and that means the removal of EVERY feature the site currently has in order for us to re-make and add new ones.

- The credit system
Probably won't make a return because its not commonly used and doesn't really offer much benefit any more.

- Reputation system
We will keep users reputation scores but remake the system in to more of a "like" - "Dislike" or thumbs up, thumbs down type feature. The reputation comments aren't really needed.

- Social messages
I think we should keep this but I'm not sure what to do with it yet.

- Blogs
The current system is badly outdated and bloated it's not even funny. I'm not sure if we should even have it but if we do keep it then it will have to be completely redone and made much simpler.

I think we should also finally have an Award/Badge system that can be used to reward users for various code related accomplishments etc.

So what features do YOU think the site needs?
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Website Help & Suggestions”