Project Temperature [Now in BETA]

Here is the place to post images, videos and downloads of your current and upcoming applications that you are working on.
36 posts Page 1 of 4
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

Project Temperature [Now in BETA]
comathi
#Filip and I have been working on a new project together, and it's now at a stage where we can actually show you something lol.

Introducing, Project Temperature!

By connecting a digital thermometer to a Raspberry Pi's GPIO pins, with a little Python magic and with Filip's god-like PHP skills, we've started working on a "temperature database" if you want to call it that. Pi owners from all over the world will be able to purchase a sensor (found in many electronics stores), download the Python scripts we have written, connect to the database and upload the data from their sensors. Creating an account on the site allows you to add your own sensors, view extended info about each sensor (graphs, statistics, etc).

This is still in early development, so things are bound to change a bit over time as we add features and make it better, but we thought we would fill you in as we go cooll;
Last edited by comathi on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benji_19994
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Re: Project Temperature
benji_19994
You would be able to use the arduino as well are these going to be online 24/7??
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

comathi
That's up to the user to decide. Normally, yes, though.

As for the Arduino, I guess it would be possible, but that would require buying a network shield for it. The great thing about using the Raspberry Pi (model B, anyway), is that everything you need is there for you to connect to a network, establish an SSH connection (if you plan on installing the script and everything without a screen, mouse and keyboard) and it's easy to just boot up, leave on and forget about it :)
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

smashapps
#comathi wow that's a really cool project :D you and Filip have done an awesome job
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
benji_19994
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

benji_19994
I'm guessing you could just use the shell_exec On a local environment to be able to connect to the serial connection or the arduino,.... Thats the thing with the pie is that all the stuff is done for you! No fun haha with the arduino you are limited to what you are doing there for you have to think outside of the box to think of the best way to relay stuff.
Codex
Coding God
Coding God

Codex
I am now officially part of the team and I will be helping out with both designing and coding the website. Looking forward to seeing devs joining us!
We shall let the revolution begin.. the revolution for freedom, freedom against censorship. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
benji_19994
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

benji_19994
May I ask how are you getting the data to your server are you using POST request or something?
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

comathi
As of now, data is sent using GET... I do believe Filip is working on only accepting data that originates from a Raspberry Pi device, though, to prevent useless requests to the server.
Codex
Coding God
Coding God

Codex
Well since the users are required to have an account that (the useless requests) won't be a problem, since you can simply terminate anyone who misuses the API.
We shall let the revolution begin.. the revolution for freedom, freedom against censorship. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
benji_19994
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

benji_19994
Hmm I was thinking of trying to write a daemon that would work in conjunction with the arduino
36 posts Page 1 of 4
Return to “Work in Progress”