Dropbox Chat 1.1 Official Release

Please post all your completed software applications in here. This is for full software which you have created and wish to release and share with everyone.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Dropbox Chat 1.1 Official Release
smashapps
Hey guys,

Here is another software release. I've been working on this for 2 days, I mentioned it in the Work in progress section but had no downloads for anyone to test it. This is version 1.1 of the application and should work well without any bugs but if you do happen to find anything wrong be sure to let me know.

About/Using:

Dropbox Chat is an application that you, and your friends use while sharing a dropbox folder. You add a text file to a shared folder, and each person has that file linked to the chat application. Using this we can chat to everyone in that shared folder.

The first time you run the application a First Time Wizard will be displayed taking you through the steps of setting everything up. You need to enter a display name for when you're chatting, and the text file which must be located in the shared dropbox folder.

After you've used the First Time Wizard you can use the program to chat by entering a message and pressing enter or clicking the send button. If you need to change the settings again in the future you can right click and select Settings, you can also choose to delete the chat log, but this deletes everyone else's chat too.

Image: (cause we all love images!)

Requirements:

You will need .Net Framework 4.5 to run the application
You will need an internet connection to run the updater, and to update the chat.

Download:

This is a direct archive download from my dropbox.

Click here to download Dropbox Chat 1.1

Since 1.0 I added the automatic updater, designed a new setup wizard and a few bug fixes. Please be sure to let me know what you think of my program, +rep if you liked, and tell me all of your suggestions :)
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
anthonygz

This app is a very unique concept to a "FTP" chat kind of application, but using Dropbox gives it more potential.
If you fiddle around with Dropbox a bit, you can contact them to get an API to use in your NET applications.
The API includes:
Making new folders
Uploading
Changing files or names
Or downloading in general
I managed to make a similar application to this one, but packed with the standard API instead of anything else, and let me tell you it was worth messing with all its features.

I put into the application a Login / Registering screen:
1: it makes a folder and names it their username, and if that folder exits either by lowercase, all caps, or a mix of both; it would tell you that "username" is taken.
As for the password part, the Dropbox folder would contain Password.txt, and check that file to see if the password was correct or not.
Then of course Email.txt for storing the email given for the account, and if they ever lose the password; I put in an auto-email that would email them the Password.txt

Then I had added it s that you could have a friends list, which took awhile to do but it worked out eventually.
The way I had done it was by making the program check Friends.txt, and if similar "Users" or folder's Friends.txt contained the same name, they would appear in a list box; then a folder under that users folder would be the name of that certain friend (Confusing? Imagine the coding it took.)

As for chatting itself, their was the Global-Chat or Global.txt that anyone could chat into.
For the friends chat, it would be Chat.txt under that friends folder in your folder.

As for the administration part, it's quite simple because you're just modifying folders through the API itself.
So if I was to "Ban" Someone, I can make the program check for "UserStatus.txt" and then:
If whatever.txt.contains("Banned") then
Checkbox whatever.checked = true

If checkbox.whatever = true then
Me.close
Form1.show
Then make a label at top say "You are Banned"
It's a neat concept if you really get into this, and if I wanted to "mute" someone, I can do the same above, but make it disable the Chat Submit Button or disable the text box.
As for deleting their account, it's the matter of deleting the folder itself, and thats about it.

I might just turn my project into a Full-Scale project and release it for the heck of it; but it stays in my coding closet for now.
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Thanks for the all the information #anthonygz
Very interesting, I'll have to check it out.

I didn't even know Dropbox had an API lol
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
anthonygz

smashapps wrote:
Thanks for the all the information #anthonygz
Very interesting, I'll have to check it out.

I didn't even know Dropbox had an API lol
It's something to be rather requested than found, but theirs just so many things you can do with this API.
From a Chatbox, to a Community for File-Sharing, Administering a website, or an idea that has never been concucted before.
If a idea is unique, then it came from the soul;
If an idea is copied, it came from the proprietor;
If an idea makes you happy, it doesn't matters rather it'd be copied or not for as long as you fill it with your own grasp or flavor.

Sample:

Registering:
Dropbox.folder.create("public/Users/"+textbox1.text+"/")
Dropbox.file.create("public/Users/"+textbox1.text+"/Username.txt/")
Dropbox.file.create("public/Users/"+textbox2.text+"/Password.txt/")

Login:

Dim UserCheck as string
Dim PassCheck as string
Dim AccountLogin as string

Dim request As System.Net.HttpWebRequest = System.Net.HttpWebRequest.Create("https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/219 ... ername.txt")
Dim response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse = request.GetResponse()

Dim sr As System.IO.StreamReader = New System.IO.StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream())

Dim sourcecode As String = sr.ReadToEnd()

UserCheck = sourcecode

Dim request2 As System.Net.HttpWebRequest = System.Net.HttpWebRequest.Create("https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/219 ... ssword.txt")
Dim response2 As System.Net.HttpWebResponse = request2.GetResponse()

Dim sr2 As System.IO.StreamReader = New System.IO.StreamReader(response2.GetResponseStream())

Dim sourcecode2 As String = sr2.ReadToEnd()

PassCheck=sourcecode2

If UserCheck = textbox1.text & PassCheck = textbox2.text then
AccountLogin = "Verified"
Else
AccountLogin = "Incorrect"
End if

If AccountLogin = "Verified" then
Me.hide
Form2.show
Form2.label1.text = textbox1.text
End if

If AccountLogin = "Incorrect" then
Msgbox("Incorrect Username or Password!")
End if
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Full Software”