running 32bit software on a 64bit machine

Anything not covered in the other sections like Computer trouble - Hardware Issues - Upgrades and other technical stuff to be asked in here please.
20 posts Page 1 of 2
Contributors
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Hi All
Does anyone know of a FREE Virtual Machine that i can run on my 64bit Laptop so i can Run 32bit Software :!:
If you do then please reply , I DONT want a pirate version or anything cracked etc, but just want to know if there is anything out there that can do it and its FREE :D

Chris
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

What about windows virtual pc: http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/deta ... laylang=en

Or virtual box: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

Not sure if there any good or if they work properly on 64bit but both are free I think cooll;
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Hi Codenstuff
Thanks for that, VirtualPC, i already have that and guess what? "its not compatable with Win7 Premium" cryer;

+++update+++ I have just installed VirtualBox wahooo;
and i will run Xp on that and see if that will run my 3D Max, as i really only want to be able to run my 32bit copy on it :)

thanks again for your Help cooll; :D

Chris
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

I personally like VMWare Player better than any virtual pc/machine I've used, because I can connect my webcam in the virtual machine. It's compatible with Windows (32bit & 64bit) as well as Linux (i386 = 32bit & AMD64 = 64bit)

I downloaded VMWare Player here, because I didn't wanna register to the site lol. (I'm using the free trial for VMWare Workstation right now though)
Insignia
VIP-Member
VIP-Member

You do know 32bit software can run perfectly fine under 64bit. Just install it in the special 32 bit folder(C:\Program Files(x86)

Works fine for every software I own.
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Hi
Mike, yeah i know about VMWare as i did run a trial way back cooll;

Chocolate, No ididnt know about installing it to the Folder, But i do now wahooo;
I will give that a go, but when i tried to setup 3d Max yesterday before it even set itself up i got the uncompatable message.

i will post back here when i try that out

thanks

Chris
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Hi
Chocolate, I tried that, but as soon as i tried to setup 3D Max it said its not compatable with 64bit, So i can't even install it to the x86 folder.

thanks for your Help tho' cooll;

Chris
Insignia
VIP-Member
VIP-Member

hungryhounduk wrote:
Hi
Chocolate, I tried that, but as soon as i tried to setup 3D Max it said its not compatable with 64bit, So i can't even install it to the x86 folder.

thanks for your Help tho' cooll;

Chris
Oh. But you can probably download the 64 bit version from the 3D Max website and use your serial on that. There are usually two versions of software for 32 and 64 bit ;)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc ... d=13571450
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Hi Chocolate
I have a really old version that i bought way back in the day (Version 3) and i know that is not supported anymore :( I dont want to download a Trial Version of the new Version as it will stop working after 30 days.

I need to get mine working somehow :)

chris
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Hi All

Well i got VirtualBox working fine cooll; But i have tried WinXP Home and Professional and i get to the Setup/Licence Agreement and press F8 to agree and nothing happens, and thats on both. :? It just stays on the Licence Agreement page and does not get any further.

I even tried an old version of Win 98SE to see if that would install, and even that would not have it ;)

The Only Operating sys I managed to get on VirtualBox was Ubuntu.

Chris
20 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “General Help”