GIMP 2.8.0-RC1: 1st release candidate now available

Created or found some images that you would like to share with others? please post them in here. Buttons, backgrounds, borders or any images people could use in there applications.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Source - http://www.gimpusers.com/news/00412-gimp-2-8-rc1

While the developers are already working on interesting features and new stuff in the so-called goat-invasion branch they try to push out GIMP 2.8 as soon as possible. The first release candidate (RC) has now been released to the public!

You might ask why they still do a RC because 2.7.5 worked pretty well already. There have been some discrepancies withs GIMP graph-based graphics library GEGL which is no longer fully backwards compatible. Therefore the developers had to implement their own Contrast & Brightness operation.

Good news
on the other side: GIMP 2.8 will depend on GEGL 0.2.0. This means that OpenCL support (hardware acceleration through multi core CPUs and graphics cards shaders) is going to be available for operations – although only theoretically, because OpenCL is not actually used yet. But at least it is now possible to integrate new super fast operations in GEGL and GIMP. A good progress!

GIMP 2.8.0 is now definitely very near. You may expect it in the next days/weeks ahead (but there is no official word on this ;))!

These are the changes taken directly from the NEWS file:

Core:
  • Add our own GimpOperationBrightnessContrast because GEGL one is different
Plug-ins:
  • Fix some GFig rendering issues
Source and build system:
  • Depend on Babl 0.1.10, GEGL 0.2.0 and some other new library versions
General:
  • Bug fixes
  • Translation updates
The source code is available in GimpUsers downloads section – there are no binary versions available yet. GimpUsers will keep you up to date regarding Windows or other binaries of GIMP 2.8-RC1.
MrAksel
C# Coder
C# Coder

I'm not really into designing, but I'm really exited for the release! Do you have any idea how to make our own GIMP plugins? Ill do a google search, but it would be cool if anyone here knew it :)
LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT
Laughing my a** of so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco lmao;

Over 30 projects with source code!
Please give reputation to helpful members!

mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

I made an Electronic Gimp Script, but not a plugin. Although I know there's a couple people on GimpChat that know how. I haven't been active there in quite awhile though. Although on the tutorials section on Gimpusers there's some tutorials for scripts, and programming.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “GFX Media”