Code rambling

Post all your application ideas, thoughts and suggestions in here to inspire others or kick-off a project.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Code rambling
CodenStuff
You can pretty much ignore this or just have a giggle at my nonsense...its just me rambling on and jotting down my thoughts/ideas for this darn text adventure thing I'm doing :lol:

Maybe you can jump in and write some thoughts and ideas of your own

Basic Data structure

Game
Name of game, introduction
  • Maps
    The different zones within the game (forest, village, house, cave), zone name, room the player starts in when it loads etc
    • Rooms
      A list of all the "rooms" within this zone
      - List of objects within the room
      - List of Items that can be found in this room
      - People in the room
      - Directions you can move in order to get to the next room
  • Objects
    A list of objects in a room - table, car, tree etc
    - Name of object
    - Description
    - Any items inside/on this object
    - Items you can use with this object
  • Items
    A list of items available in the room and/or inside/on an object
    - Name
    - Description
    - Any items you need in order to use this item
    - Can the item be taken
  • People
    A list of people/monsters/animals
    - Name
    - Dialogue
    - Do you need to give them an item
    - What happens when you give them an item
Key things to consider that may be required in a game

Doors (hatches, paths, roads) - can be locked or blocked
A room has exits to the East and West, the East exit has a locked door so the player can't move East. They must first use a key(item) on the door(object) to unlock the door and then East is available for the player to move in that direction.

Can I anticipate everything the player may want to do in the game and incorporate that in to the editor?
Example - the player may come across a tree and type "climb tree" or "chop down tree"
Answer: Possibly
Lengthy solution: Add additional command list options to the editor for example "climb", but then that would involved scanning through every object/item within the room to check if it has the command "climb" associated with it and if so display relevant response - still can't anticipate all the player may wish to do :?

Hmm....
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Code rambling
CodenStuff
Can we build a map editor that allows easy map creation and editing of existing maps to add new rooms and remove rooms?
Answer: (after 5 hours of torment and torture) Yes we can.

Bask in my code messiness :lol:

Now the hard part is over boogy;
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Code rambling
CodenStuff
Seriously?

This big line of code just to find the index of a specific room record :? lol
Code: Select all
Game.GameZones.Item(Game.GameZones.FindIndex(Function(zones) zones.ZoneID = WhichZone)).ZoneRoom.Item(Game.GameZones.Item(Game.GameZones.FindIndex(Function(zones) zones.ZoneID = WhichZone)).ZoneRoom.FindIndex(Function(Rooms) Rooms.RoomID = WhichRoom))
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Code Storming”