Unbuntu or windows 7

Talk about anything and everything Linux.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
upperdrag
Excellent Poster
Excellent Poster

Unbuntu or windows 7
upperdrag
I dont know wether t which to choose, if I choose unbuntu can I turn back to windows?
Scottie1972
Codenstuff Elite
Codenstuff Elite

Re: Unbuntu or windows 7
Scottie1972
Yes!
But you will have to Patition and Format the Harddrive.

On a personal note. Stay with Ubuntu!
Windows7 is OK. But with Ubuntu, I have had the best success.
Snyper345
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Snyper345
yeah i had ubuntu once with my windows 7 laptop and when i booted up w7 and then tried rebooting up ubuntu i couldnt so listen to Scottie. but personally i like w7 better
upperdrag
Excellent Poster
Excellent Poster

upperdrag
Hey!, thanks for the reply, sorry i typed that message in a hurry and its on my ipod touch. I will try Ubuntu, however i am not that versatile so i might not be used to Ubuntu. Oh and 1 more thing, i must reformat my hard drive just to uninstall Unbuntu? All i wan't from Unbuntu is to run my server cause i heard that it was a rather good OS to run servers :P

Thanks a lot :D
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

hungryhounduk
Why dont you Dual Boot?
I have Vista and Ubuntu setup on my Laptop, and they both work effortlessly :)

setup Ubuntu as Normal using WIN7, and it will do all the neccesarry Partioning and "whathaveyou" and then you have the Option of running either WIN7 or UBUNTU at Bootup.

Chris
Axel
Coding God
Coding God

Axel
windows 7 = un-buntu
http://vagex.com/?ref=25000
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

smashapps
I have never used ubuntu but I love Windows 7 more then anything but yeah if you can't decide then duel boot
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
Scottie1972
Codenstuff Elite
Codenstuff Elite

Scottie1972
If you do a Dual-Boot system (Windows7 & Ubuntu),
When you run setup for Windows7 it will ask you when you partition the HardDrive how much space you want to use for that patition.
The numbers highlighted in the textbox will be the MAX value of MBytes of the drive. Split this in half. (250000 / 2 == 125000) this will create Drive C:\ with a size of 125000. When you run Ubuntu Install it will ask you the same question but will show you the Windows partition and a Non Patition.

Use the Non-Patition to install Ubuntu. Again setup will ask you how much space to use for this new patition. (125000) Set this to MAX.

Continue with normal install.

If you want to use Ubuntu as a server.
Forget Windows all together.
Run Ubuntu from Live CD or USB.
Restart computer let Ubuntu boot.
On the desktop you will see a shortcut titled something like
( Install Ubuntu ) or simular to that.
Then after install you can add Apache,MySQL,PHP5 and what ever else you want to use.

If you want to use Windows as a server.
Install Windows as normal.
Download and install WAMP for windows package.
OR
Download and install
Apache2.2 (OpenSSL)
MySQL Essentials 5.1 (.MSI)
PHP5.+

You can find many good sites using Google Search on how to setup the above server software.

BUT!
Ubuntu (any linux/unix) system has the better security.
This is why I choose a Linux OS over "ANY" Windows OS.
Windows maybe easier to use. But you cant beat a secure linux server.
Casirus
Codenstuff Elite
Codenstuff Elite

Casirus
Personally if it is a server system you are looking to setup i would go with CentOS its what most datacentres give you if you ask for a linux server because centos is just that a linux server OS haha me and scottie have had some good times with centos it is one of the most powerful lightweight server os's you can get so its up to you really
DraculCorp - Progress lives forever
We strive for progress to improve the world we leave behind.
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

mikethedj4
upperdrag wrote:
I dont know wether t which to choose, if I choose unbuntu can I turn back to windows?
You can always go back to Windows, but for safety reasons make sure you keep the recovery disk it came with to reinstall it.

Also you can dual boot Ubuntu if you don't wanna remove Windows. Just make a separate partition, and install Ubuntu on that partition. Now you have the best of both worlds.

I personally don't do that, cause I need my space. I installed Ubuntu on a flash drive, and if you don't wanna waste money on a blank cd. If you have a flash drive you can use the Universal USB Installer which turns your flash drive pretty much into a live cd, and you can always reformat the flash drive, and use it over and over.

If you wanna use a CD/DVD you can use InfraRecorder to burn the os to the disk, and you'll have your live cd. (It's called live, cause you can test the os before installing it)

Also you can give a virtual machine a try to, but you haft to share ram, and you don't get the best experience.

Lets say you don't have a live cd, or a flash drive, you can use Wubi, but I don't recommend it, but it works, and does the partitioning for you.

I'm gonna post a tut in a bit (still gotta make it), but it'll be on getting started using Ubuntu. However you'll haft to download the file, cause I'll go over numerous ways on using Linux. Flash drive, live cd, virtual machine, dual booting, etc:
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “General Discussion”