[TUT] Installing and Uninstalling Software

If you need help configuring, installing or using anything Linux please post in here.
1 post Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Installing software on Linux is really easy, and today I'm going to show you guys how you can install software.

Now most distros like Ubuntu, and Mint come with a software center that you can view, and install software on aka an App Store.

You also may have Synaptic Package Manager somewhere on your distro, and that can be used to install software.

Another way which is my personal fav is using the terminal.

NOTE: Commands will differ from distro to distro.

I as an Ubuntu user can use the following code to install some of my favorite apps.
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gimp inkscape vlc
If you're a Fedora user you'd install apps using this command.
yum install gimp inkscape vlc
However some cases you may come across a tarball either as .tar.gz or .tar.bz2, and you'll need to compile it in order to install the software.

Most tarballs installing them is pretty easy...
./configure
make
make install
Now all tarballs are like that, but most are.

Some cases to install the app you want like Kazam Screencaster you'd need to add a PPA into your Software Sources (Again will vary from distro to distro)

Some people use the terminal for this part, but this is one thing I prefer to do manually.

So in Ubuntu 11.04, and 11.10 they combined the Software Sources into the Software Center. So to open it, open up Ubuntu Software Center, and then go to Edit/Software Sources, and add whatever the PPA says. In my case it'd be.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/and471/kazam-daily-builds/ubuntu natty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/and471/kazam-daily-builds/ubuntu natty main
Now uninstalling the app is simple... (Again varies upon distro to distro)
sudo apt-get remove kazam
If you're using Fedora...
yum remove kazam
Of course you can always use the software center, but it doesn't list all the software, like Cinelerra for example. Which you'd haft to use the terminal in that case.

Anyway hopefully this tutorial helped you out, and enjoy the new programs, or games you just installed. cooll;
1 post Page 1 of 1
Return to “Help & Support”