Develop Android apps on an Android

Tutorials and code examples for creating apps on the android platform.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

NOTE: If you don't have an Android you can get Windroy and run Android alongside your Windows kernel without a virtual machine. This takes advantage of the hardware on your computer for a better android experience, but note Windroy does not come with the Android App store. If you want that in order to get AIDE you can download and install Bluestacks on your comp (Available for Win/Mac). Now if you wanna jump right in the tutorial click here, but at least check the suggested apps.

About a week ago I acquired a cheap 7" iRulu Android tablet from eBay for about $72. Not a bad deal! The first day I spent installing apps, and just getting it ready for use as it is my main computer until I can acquire a new laptop. One thing I realized when searching through the app store was I couldn't find a relatively close free alternative to photoshop, inkscape, blender, or even a mobile website prototyping application like Codiqa. Which I use to increase development productivity and efficiency. Not to mention all of them (aside from Codiqa) have everything I need to use while designing a website.

Back before my laptop got fried I used to use Eclipse and PhoneGap to make HTML5 and JQuery Mobile web applications for experimental purposes. Once I got my tablet I came to realize no wonder why people don't develop many apps on an Android for an Android. It takes to damn long. So I decided to make some that will make it faster, easier, and funner to use. I then came to realize. How the hell am I going to do this without a desktop? I needed to find an app for Android that was like Eclipse and supported PhoneGap so I could make HTML5 and JQuery Mobile applications, and a user on StackOverflow mentioned an app called AIDE (Android IDE) can be used to develop java applications. With further research I found out that this is compatible with Eclipse and PhoneGap works on it as well therefore I can develop Android applications on my Android. How sick is that?

Now before we proceed here's some suggested apps. (links/urls will be added soon)
AIDE (Android IDE)
DroidEdit free
FtpCafe
HTML OnLive Debugger

Now here is where I can across some demo projects for what I wanted to do - https://github.com/OwenBrotherwood/aidePhoneGap

A tutorial is merely a guide, and I am guiding you into a direction for development. If you have no prior knowledge of HTML and or CSS for that matter you best start practicing and learning/researching. Developing software is not for everyone. When I first started it wasn't fun at all, just nothing but headache after headache, but I was determined and still am to make my computing experience easier. When I first started web design it was the same thing, but I really wanted to make a nice good looking, and interactive website and when I achieve that (even with the apps) it's one of my favorite feelings in the world. Knowing that that's what I achieved. Best of all it's there to use, see, and open source for experimentation. Sure the first time I got a switch double heelflip skateboarding made me real happy, but what's the joy in that if no one else can have the same joy? Now that's the fun I get in web development and design. So learn, experiment, and have fun. The sky's the limit...
Last edited by mikethedj4 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shim
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Re: Develop Android apps on an Android
Shim
the tablet looks nice Image :D
Find my programs on Softpedia
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

The keyboard's keys are extremely small, which makes it a pain typing, but still better than the touch keyboard. I use a usb keyboard, and mouse connected to my 4port usb hub/coffee warmer (I got it at Goodwill for $2) It's a bit slow, but for the price still a good deal at least in my opinion.
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

I recently had a problem submitting my app into the Android Market as you can see below.
publishing-app-error.png
After asking this question on StackOverflow, and finally got an answer I thought I would share to those that want to be able to do this, either make money or not from your app I'll show you how you can submit it into the Android Market/Google Play Store using AIDE.

First off you do need to pay the $25 developer fee in order to submit your app. This is only a one time thing so unlike Apple you don't have to pay $99 a year fee.

In addition you will also have to buy the full version of AIDE ($10) as the Export APK Menu (in More) is only available in the premium version, and you can get that here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... remium.key

Now just to save me time, cause I gotta get back to work. I'm just going to copy and paste the answer I got from StackOverflow that solved this problem for me.

"First you need to create your own key store. To do this, open the menu, click More > Export Apk.

Then select Create Key store and follow the steps - just make sure that the validity is more than 30 years. Click Create

Then click Export Apk again. Click Export and type in the password for your key store. Click OK. You have now exported your app! DO NOT DELETE YOUR KEYSTORE you will need it to update your app. Infact I would recommend backing it up."

After that you can upload your newly generated apk and fill all the proper fields, and your application should be submitted. (Paid applications require you to register for Google Merchant market or something like that, but doesn't require you to pay anything, but you will have to release more personal information which I'm not fond of)

It'll take a few hours, maybe days but it should be submitted within a 24-48h period.

Here's what my developer console looks like.
published.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Hey Mike
You should try developing Android apps in FlashCS5.5, Flash has Android for Air Built in and You can create your own Self Signed Certificates :)

Chris
Shim
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Re: Develop Android apps on an Android
Shim
Mike, I think It is programmed by chinese recently I used iTools and Mobogenie programmed by chinese. I think they are great it programming :) unfortunately we don't have anyone in here :)
Find my programs on Softpedia
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Tutorials”