Need Help With Desktop Repair

Discuss all things PC software, hardware, accessories.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Need Help With Desktop Repair
mikethedj4
Well I was cleaning under my bed, and behind my old workout bag I don't use anymore I found my dad's old computer, and he said I could have it. Well we didn't have an extra keyboard so I borrowed one from my work (everyone said it was ok) Now I mainly work with laptops, and everyone I know works with desktops unfortunately I'm off of work for a week, and I wanna contact them after work. However I pressed the power button heard a click, but didn't turn on, so I pressed it again to turn it off, and still heard a click.

I'm guessing the hard drive got burnt out, but idk, and cause it doesn't turn on I can't boot to a flash drive, or open the optical disk drive. Can anyone help?
Agust1337
Coding God
Coding God

Re: Need Help With Desktop Repair
Agust1337
Open your hard disk and smell it, if it smells like something is burning, it's most likely burnt out
You're crazy!
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested. ~Sheldon Cooper
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

I just noticed when I plugged the comp into the wall I hear clicking. The button doesn't do anything, but it does keep making that clicking sound by the comp. I opened it up, but I didn't go into that metal box sort to speak where the fan is, and what's making the clicking sound inside it.

It's safe to have someone else mess with it as idk what I'm doing, plus a bunch of cords are going in that I can't takeout as their put together by a cable (I think it's called a zip tie).

When I go back to work I'm gonna see if anyone can help and fix it, and I'll pay for it with my paycheck I got earlier this month. (BTW: My dad bought it preloaded with Windows XP Home Premium) So I'm guessing he got it around 2001-2005.

idk if he needs to back anything up so I'm gonna have them just fix the hardware problem it has, for whatever it is, and I'll install Windows 7. (idk what it's specs are yet I'll find that out later when I take a look)

BTW: The hard drive is fine, so it's probably the power supply, but just to be sure I'm gonna have a professional look at it. It'll probably be a $90 fix maybe more.
2cool4cereal2
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Use the process of elimination.

If the computer will not power up: Try a new power supply.

If the computer starts up but makes clicking noises and does not pass the startup screen: Replace the RAM

If the computer starts up but it says it cannot find an operating system: Try a new hard drive.

However, if it is the motherboard there could be tons of different symptoms.

My recommendation: Find a large fan or an air compressor and clean the fan out really well. (The power supply fan.) Mine has stopped working in the past but began working once more after I cleaned the dust out.
"I try to be modest at all times, and that's what makes me better than everyone else."
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

I'm almost positive it needs a new power supply, but I've already sent it into the shop.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “PC”