Small site redesign/rethink needed?

Need help with the website or have you spotted an error or do you have any suggestions on how tom improve the site please let us know in here.
1 post Page 1 of 1
Contributors
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Coders,

After doing the latest round of updates I started to think about the site layout a bit more and I think some of it needs to be redone in some way.

Firstly I think the side-menu is probably confusing to a lot of people, I have had some messages asking where certain pages were and links to those pages are available in the side-menu, obviously these users were unaware the side-menu existed. Most people will automatically associate the "hamburger" menu button with mobile devices, when using a tablet/PC it's reasonable to assume that most users would expect a traditional navigation menu - going horizontally across the top of the page.

The question is can we (should we) do both. Personally I like the side-menu and even more so when it's pinned in place but others may not like it this way and believe we should reserve the side-menu for mobile only devices. We could have the best of both worlds and add a top navigation menu with the option to use the side-menu, activating the side-menu could remove the top navigation and vice-versa, perhaps this is the best way to go?

Another issue I'm having is with the 'Code Credits' and 'Credit Store', our website is FREE and open to everyone but I can't help thinking some people may believe that some form of payment is required to use certain parts of the site, the words "Credit" and "Store" are associated with money after all. Perhaps we should think about renaming credits to something else like "Tokens" and renaming the store to something else like "Reward Centre" ...or something?

The home page also needs a redesign, it looks good at the moment but it doesn't shout out exactly what it is we do here. So I was thinking of moving some things around and also adding a quick question/help box so when new visitors come to the site needing urgent help after searching the internet for a solution to their coding problems can quickly post their question without feeling they have to waste more time registering before they can ask.

We could also displayed more prominently on the site (possibly in the header area) so people can search for what they need quickly, at the moment the search box is confined to the side-menu...that's just not good is it :errm;

In regards to the home page we need to make it more inviting to new potential members and give them a really good look at what we do here from the moment they arrive. I've done my best to make the site as good, simple and user friendly as I can but some parts still don't feel right.

Any thoughts?
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
1 post Page 1 of 1
Return to “Website Help & Suggestions”