Disk drive not recognizing DVD rewritable

Anything not covered in the other sections like Computer trouble - Hardware Issues - Upgrades and other technical stuff to be asked in here please.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
SumCode
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

So basically I wanted to backup some of my files and programs and I got this HP DVD+RW disk and put it into the disk drive of my laptop. I could hear the disk spinning and then it stopped and the E drive had nothing in it and it opened my disk tray as if nothing were in it. I googled the problem and did everything imaginable such as using the fix it beta by Microsoft, editing some registry values, reinstalling my CD-DVD drivers. I know the DVD's work because they seem to function properly on my desktop computer, but not on my laptop, does anyone know the solution to this problem?
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Try cleaning the DVD Player lens, it's a very tiny one. Very delicate so be careful with it.
SumCode
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Usman55 wrote:
Try cleaning the DVD Player lens, it's a very tiny one. Very delicate so be careful with it.
Well I forgot to mention this, but I tried just a regular CD-R and it worked perfectly fine
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is your drive a DVD writer?. It could also be incompatible with the disc as you can get DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW and dual layer discs ect and depending on the drive you have it may not work :?
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
SumCode
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Usman55 wrote:
It's been 4 months since this was posted and almost year I have had this problem. Today I was looking for old CD's to donate and came across a Dynex CD/DVD cleaner. At first I thought when did I get this and then I remembered that I have a non-functional disk drive. So I ran as fast as I could to my computer and popped the disk in and waited the 5 minutes for it to clean. What do you know? I put the Sponge-bob Square-pants movie (don't ask why) in and it worked! I was so excited it is working again. So thank you for putting your suggestion there I just didn't consider cleaning the DVD player lens because CD's worked just not DVDs. wahooo;
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “General Help”