when to replace a hard drive

Anything not covered in the other sections like Computer trouble - Hardware Issues - Upgrades and other technical stuff to be asked in here please.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
code it
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

when to replace a hard drive
code it
my hard drive says its 89% health and 89 spinup time but i hear clicking noises a lot. should i replace my hdd or should i wait a little longer? i dont want to lose my files
muttley1968
Hardcore Programmer
Hardcore Programmer

Well im guessing by the fact your hearing clicking noises that at some point you have either nocked or dropped your pc.

Dont worry about lossing files 90% of the time their is a way to recover lost files on a hard drive.

when thinking about replacing your hard drive you should consider the following first

Is size an issue (do you need more or less)
what type do you WANT (SSD or HDD)
cost (Can you afford to)

Anouther thing to think about is maybe setting up a slave drive so buy a new hard drive and rather than lose your data just turn it into a slave drive for a few months after this time important files will be safe on master drive and if it kicks the bukkit then so what. it also means you could reduce cost by getting a smaller drive to start off so say a 250gb SSD rather than 1tb HDD
Shim
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Re: when to replace a hard drive
Shim
muttley1968 wrote:
Well im guessing by the fact your hearing clicking noises that at some point you have either nocked or dropped your pc.

Dont worry about lossing files 90% of the time their is a way to recover lost files on a hard drive.

when thinking about replacing your hard drive you should consider the following first

Is size an issue (do you need more or less)
what type do you WANT (SSD or HDD)
cost (Can you afford to)

Anouther thing to think about is maybe setting up a slave drive so buy a new hard drive and rather than lose your data just turn it into a slave drive for a few months after this time important files will be safe on master drive and if it kicks the bukkit then so what. it also means you could reduce cost by getting a smaller drive to start off so say a 250gb SSD rather than 1tb HDD
Can you please tell us how we could recover lost files on a hard drive?
Find my programs on Softpedia
Filip
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Filip
First make sure that drive is in place, maybe that's why it's clicking... Try opening up the car and tighten screws a little bit.. If you're getting a new one, I would recommend getting Western Digital. I have their 640 GB drive for 6 years now, never got any errors with it.
CodenStuff wrote:
Nope, it's just your sick and dirty mind. You sick twisted warped little pervo :D
muttley1968
Hardcore Programmer
Hardcore Programmer

muttley1968
shim this is just one of the MANY programs out their to recover lost files from a harddrive http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecov ... review.htm baring in mind your harddrive will only truley get rid of data if it is formated 3 or more times before that it stores that information in little banks through its self and HDD even have a magnetic image which is readable.
noypikami
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

noypikami
that noise , like clicking or like you hear a small motor running inside. it happen to me already on my extenal hard drive. eventually after a few days my hard drive failed and lost my data. the good thing is that i have a back up of all my files and copy all the data again into that hard drive but after a few weeks it happens again. my hard drive is still with me but i no longer use that.
i suggest, you should replace that hard drive as soon as possible. it doesnt cost that much compare to your files, hard works and time.
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

I would back-up my stuff from the Harddrive and get a new one.
( I lost 10 years of work by keeping it all on a External Harddrive that failed!!)

and If the one that Clicks is still working ok then i would have that as a slave drive ( that's if i own a Tower) I bought a brand new harddrive way back in the day and it had scrapping noises and clicking noises from day one and never worked well...

Chris
mandai
Coding God
Coding God

mandai
I wouldn't rely so much on a percentage to tell the drive status.
If you are concerned about the drive you should back up your data first and then run chkdsk /r to check for bad blocks. If there are bad blocks you can assume the drive is becoming unreliable.
Shim
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Shim
muttley1968 wrote:
shim this is just one of the MANY programs out their to recover lost files from a harddrive http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecov ... review.htm baring in mind your harddrive will only truley get rid of data if it is formated 3 or more times before that it stores that information in little banks through its self and HDD even have a magnetic image which is readable.

I mean is there any ways to recover files from a failed hard drive?
Find my programs on Softpedia
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “General Help”