Huge PC Booting issue

Anything not covered in the other sections like Computer trouble - Hardware Issues - Upgrades and other technical stuff to be asked in here please.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
kolega28
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Huge PC Booting issue
kolega28
I used to triple-boot my computer with OS X mavericks, Linux mint 16 and windows 7 (hackintosh by the way, not a mac) (BTW Mac was on my 1tb hard drive and the other 2 were split half and half on a 500gb hdd) and the permission management on linux which I used for a couple days was a bit messed up, sometimes the root partition would just not mount r/w and I'd have to reboot, stuff like that.

At one point I ended up making a windows install USB (no DVD Drive) to upgrade windows, I deleted the windows partition and made a new one and the install seemed to go ok, and I knew this would mess up my linux boot, but that was easy to fix, I'd expect to use windows for a while anyway. As I booted into windows I was greeted by a black screen for literally hours, eventually I force restarted with the installer usb in, thinking it might help, that booted into an error saying winload.exe was missing or corrupted, I tried restarting a couple times but each time I would either get a BSOD with no known cause or that same error, sometimes with different files missing.

To try to fix this I booted into my install USB (which now took aaages to load, like 20 mins staring at a black screen for some reason) and I used cmd to CHKDSK to try fix my windows, I got an error with something along the lines of "System cannot be mounted read/write" and I tried a couple more times rebooting etc but to no avail. I tried booting into a ubuntu USB I had, but that spewed a bunch of r/w errors in the console and got stuck on a black screen for hours, so once again nope.

So I decided to try boot into my OS X Partition, but turns out that I updated it just before I did the whole windows re-install thingy, and that broke it because it's a hackintosh, but this is usually an easy fix, all I'd have to do was replace a file, but for that I needed a OS X Install or Installer, so I made a installer USB, but.. that wouldn't boot, stuck on black screen.

So now basically I'm screwed, I have no OS to boot into at all, it's clear there's some read/write error with permissions or something. I tried unplugging the HDD's and mixing them in every way possible, I also reset BIOS settings, I tried to boot into USB with no hard drive in, still nope. This is really urgent, I need some kind of computer to boot into, please help.

I'm on a Alienware x51 with a i5 Sandy Bridge, 8gb RAM and a Nvidia GT 545.
mandai
Coding God
Coding God

Re: Huge PC Booting issue
mandai
It sounds like booting from USB is becoming a bit unreliable.

For troubleshooting purposes it would be useful to know are you able to run any kind of motherboard/BIOS memory test?
kolega28
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Re: Huge PC Booting issue
kolega28
I did a ePSA test on both my hard drives, the 1tb is fine as I expected, however the 500gb one shows error code 3E so I assume it's broken, that still doesn't explain the USB boot issue but at least I know that much
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “General Help”