Help me revive a laptop...

Anything not covered in the other sections like Computer trouble - Hardware Issues - Upgrades and other technical stuff to be asked in here please.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
Noob.exe
Top Poster
Top Poster

Help me revive a laptop...
Noob.exe
This one is not about me, but i really need your opinion, so please read trough this:

I was at my friends house last night and while we were playing minecraft :) on our new laptops he decided to install his old KingKong we used to play quite a lot like 2 years ago). He has original casing, original DVDs and hasn't made any changes to them (nothing downloaded, and it worked when we last used it).
Laptop worked fine until then (HP dv7, can't remember exact version) - Windows 7 (original) 64 bit

When he finished with the installation it first told him that his graphics card drivers aren't updated (weird - they were) and it asked him to reboot. He clicked Yes, and that's when the trouble started...
(i'll be numbering different "error phases")

1.) When computer started up, it immediately started Avast SaveZone:
It was impossible to quit - it kept popping up back each time we "turned it off". And btw, internet wasn't working in SafeZone browser.
Avast was a cracked version (2050^^) but it worked happily with few of my friends for years now...
Rebooting didn't solve the issue. Safe mode resulted in BSoD.

2.) We kinda kept rebooting it, and once it went straight to startup repair.
It didn't solve anything (- no errors were thrown out) (no matter how many times we repeated it), SafeZone kept spamming his desktop.

3.) We also tried:
- creating another acc (from startup repair console) to try if it'd work: acc creation failed (couldn't assigned it a group or something)
- restoring to earlier point in time: failed (couldn't acces something?, don't remember)
- disk checking, and lots of other checking utilities found some minor errors but (as they "said") fixed them

4.) Now it throws BSoD at Windows startup (when little dots start forming a logo) and at the beginning of safe mode. No restore thing (windows default system restore options) doesn't fix it. BsOD "error title" is (if i remember correctly): BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG or something like that.

So that's it.
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with KingKong game (we didn't install anything before, he just decided to install that game when we were mining obsidian^^) or with Avast that just freaked out afterwards...

So... any ideas what could be causing this or how can it be solved?

Peter Jackson's King Kong game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jack ... _creatures

Avast version:
AVAST IS 6.01203

EDIT: for stimulation ;) - if anyone solves this problems he/she gets ALL my credits :) ...yes we need it fixed that badly.
<3 VB & Python
Filip
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Re: Help me revive a laptop...
Filip
From wikipedia.org
-The PC version is also known to utilize the StarForce copy protection system, which may cause unforeseen difficulties for players, especially those using Microsoft Windows 7. However, as of now no patch have been released by the publisher to remedy this problem.
try to patch it..
CodenStuff wrote:
Nope, it's just your sick and dirty mind. You sick twisted warped little pervo :D
mandai
Coding God
Coding God

mandai
The blue screen may be due to the StarForce driver, but it could also be caused if the non-genuine Avast software has been compromised.
I would be tempted to remove Avast and see if that resolves the problem.
Noob.exe
Top Poster
Top Poster

Noob.exe
Thanks to both of you guys but there's a problem:
I can't patch or delete anything, because Windows doesn't even start (BSoD "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG" even in Safe Mode).
I have Kubuntu on external hard drive i can launch, but if i try to remove AVAST (it's programfiles folder, i know it isn't enough) it throws BSoD few seconds sooner with startup, with no error message...
<3 VB & Python
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
I dont approve of cracking software but if theres one type of software you should never crack it has to be anti-virus software because they get updated daily and eventually an update will discover the crack and cause problems as it tries to disable it.

If you cant boot in safe mode or do a system restore/repair then I think your only option is to reinstall the OS :?
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
M1z23R
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

M1z23R
Try opening up system cmd repair mode, and manually delete some or all of the Avasts fails. If that doesn't work, reinstall your OS :/
Noob.exe
Top Poster
Top Poster

Noob.exe
Yeah, he can't do system restore and deleting AVAST files gives BSoD in an even earlier stage of booting, so i guess the only option is reinstalling windows...

I doubt that the problem was (only) in Avast, because it's still working on my laptop. (and after his this, i'll probably switch to a free one soon O.o)

Btw, he didn't get any original Windows DVDs when he bought his laptop (neither did i) so... is there any legal way of reinstalling his original OS, other than "system restore" from HP recovery settings (- it fails)?
<3 VB & Python
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Well yes there is a "legal" way but you will need a legit key which should be on a sticker underneath the laptop or with its documentation but its probably an OEM key which may or may not work on a typical Win 7 install :? - no harm in trying though lol.

I wont go through all the links because theres way too many but you can legally download any version of windows 7 using the links on the page below which contain ISO downloads which you will need to burn to a DVD and need your key or you can just run it in trial mode for 120 days like I did before I bought my key lol

Windows 7 ISO - all versions

These are clean downloads from a safe & reputable source (digitalriver) so you wont find any cracks or hacks in these and please dont ask for one!. Its actually not legal to download windows unless you paid for it and got the link from a proper online store offering digital downloads of it but if you already have a legit key then all your realy doing is downloading a backup.

Good luck cooll;
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
Noob.exe
Top Poster
Top Poster

Noob.exe
Thanks, i found the sticker under my laptop, so i guess there's one under his too.
I'll download 64bit Home version (the one he had) and we'll try it in few days when i'll come by (he lives like 3km away but i've got 200 pages of Antigone to read and write a report about it until tomorrow :) and his deepest computer knowledge is installing a legit game, so i'll need to be near ^^).

Thanks again (to all of you) for your help, i'll let you know if this works
<3 VB & Python
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “General Help”