Upgrading GPU and PSU, will this be better?

Anything not covered in the other sections like Computer trouble - Hardware Issues - Upgrades and other technical stuff to be asked in here please.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
GoodGuy17
Coding God
Coding God

Hello,

I have noticed my gaming performance is less than satisfactory. I can run most Source games at max (except for vsync) with about 40 FPS, but it drops sometimes. I want this PC to be able to game at max.

I think my GPU is what is holding me back. It's an embedded AMD Radeon 6530D, with 512MB DDR3 vram. I want to buy an XFX Radeon HD 6870, with 1GB GDDR5 vram. It also has a higher core and memory clock. It needs at least a 550w PSU, and mine is 450. So, I found a Corsair 550w.

GPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=7005
PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=5432

If you don't know my specs, here they are:
AMD A6-3650 APU (Quad, 2.6GHz, 4MB Cache)
AMD Radeon 6530D GPU (512MB, DDR3, embedded)
Patriot 2x4GB Memory (8GB, DDR3)
Ultra 450w PSU
Seagate 1TB Hard Drive (7200RPM)

So, what do you think of the upgrades I have in mind?

~GoodGuy17 :D
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Hmm I wouldn't really know which one you would need more my computer is set up for Multitasking, not for games.

It depends on the game though really? You could save for both? ^.^

But more than likely go with the GPU upgrade
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would go for the GFX card because a dedicated card will always give you better performance than using onboard. I was using my onboard GFX for about a year then got myself a ATI card and now my graphics are crisp and fast.

The card you chose is quite expensive at $160 and then $60 for a new PSU or $225 if you buy them together ..WOW mega expensive! lol. I would save myself almost $200 and go for this one (or similar):

Radeon HD 5570

It has the same amount of memory 1GB and you wouldnt need a new PSU either so in my opinion its a lot better value. Think of what you could do with the $200 you would save cooll;
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
Codex
Coding God
Coding God

Usually when i want to upgrade my pc i look for upgrade-packages, they include good Graphics card, Motherboard, Ram, and cooling system, which i find is cheaper when you buy them in one package, they cost around 150 Euros with latest graphics card etc.
We shall let the revolution begin.. the revolution for freedom, freedom against censorship. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “General Help”