Snippet - Select random listbox item

Use this board to post your code snippets - tips and tricks
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Hey guys,

Noticed the last snippet in this section was posted May LAST YEAR! So I decided to share some code I used for my latest program. I use it for a list of items, the items would be a list of games I want to play but not sure what, or a list of chores and I let the program decide for me.
Code: Select all
        Randomize()
        Dim count As Integer = lstbox1.Items.Count -1
        Dim val As New Random
        lstbox1.SelectedIndex = val.Next(0, lstbox1.Items.Count)
We store the amount of items from our list, then generate a random number between 0 and the amount of items, then we select that item. Can be useful for many things I'm sure.
Last edited by smashapps on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
mandai
Coding God
Coding God

It seems to give an exception when I try this:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: InvalidArgument=Value of '3' is not valid for 'SelectedIndex'.
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Weird, it work's fine for me.
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Okay forgot to add -1 at the end of our our integer 'i'. The code has been updated.
mandai
Coding God
Coding God

Ok now the code only gives numbers starting from 1.
You might want to use Random.Next(0, lstbox1.Items.Count)
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

That was awkward, posting a snippet that didn't actually select 0 and picks a number higher than what's on the list. The code was fixed and should work 100% sorry for that.

Thanks for the fix Mandai
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Quick Snips”