Text Adventure

Here is the place to post images, videos and downloads of your current and upcoming applications that you are working on.
30 posts Page 1 of 3
Contributors
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Text Adventure
CodenStuff
Going Retro

I've been spending too much time on PHP and HTML coding recently and wanted to get away from it, so I fired up Visual Studio and set to work on something else. I have to say I've absolutely missed programming in VS, just sitting here typing away and seeing what I can conjure up has been amazing and it feels like the good old days :D

Anyway, after messing about for several hours I finally decided to try my hand at making a fun little text adventure game - some of you probably won't even know or remember what these are lol. I know a lot of you have asked about how to make a text adventure game in the past though.

Basically its a game you play by typing commands and telling your "character" what to do, no fancy graphics involved but good clean imagination fuelling fun like an interactive storybook.

Yes its pretty basic at the moment with only a few areas to play around in and the "engine" is a bit buggy but I'm working on it and hopefully will have something substantial soon.

The hardest thing about this type of game is figuring out a way to make it all work. Most text adventure type games are written in pure code with thousands and thousands of IF statements checking what you type and then doing the appropriate action, but that is just too much code. I've been trying to come up with a way to simplify it all that will hopefully just let me type my adventure in to a text file or something and then load it and have the app do all the hard work without having to type out lots and lots of code. AND it would make it easy to completely change the story and create different adventures :D
TextAdventure.zip
You play by typing commands like:

Look at table
Take the pencil
Open door
Go East

Its all in the name of fun cooll;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
clanc789
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Re: Text Adventure
clanc789
The image is currently not showing for me, though I am at the university now, rather than at home, it might be blocked here.

I really like the idea and I hope you can find enough time to finish it from WIP to a full complete program :) It is something like 'Scribblenauts' right? As I understand it, atleast.
Practice makes perfect!

VIP since: 6-10-2011
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
I'm still working on this and have the main game code working quite well, now I'm working on the editor to actually create the game data which is proving a little harder to do lol

Its getting there boogy;
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Any Stargate fans?

I've pretty much finished my editor and main game code for the text adventure game.

Now I'm working on actually creating my first game using it all (all this coding and I haven't even made an actual game yet lol). I've decided to base my first game on my favourite TV show and although it will obviously be mainly a text adventure, it will actually include some graphical elements like a gate dialler and interactive puzzles to solve along the way.

Been having lots of fun with this and using a lot of old code and GDI to create a nice UI with animation and stuff to make it look less generic form like. You have no idea how fecking hard it was to make that gate spin in the right spot :lol:

I'll post a demo when its ready and I'll release a basic editor and application for anyone who wants to make their own little adventure game.

Coding is fun :D
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Usman55
Seems good. I'd like to know how you coded a code which can be used to code a code.
clanc789
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

clanc789
Usman55 wrote:
Seems good. I'd like to know how you coded a code which can be used to code a code.
Codeception right there :O :D
Practice makes perfect!

VIP since: 6-10-2011
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
A little demo.

You can have a play with the dialling screen but nothing else works yet...still working on it :)

SGDialDemo.zip
File is large because of the graphics and sound files included.

I can't stop playing with it :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Usman55
The UI is amazing. Somehow it reminds me of Iron Man.
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Glad you like it :)

You've discovered my secret identity..I am Iron Man :lol:
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Usman55
Lol :D

Where did you find all those symbols?
Did you dissect a frog and copy his bones?
30 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Work in Progress”