Text Adventure

Here is the place to post images, videos and downloads of your current and upcoming applications that you are working on.
30 posts Page 2 of 3
Contributors
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Text Adventure
CodenStuff
I found them on Google, they're just temporary images and will be updated.

lol I STILL haven't actually started writing the game yet...I keep having to go back and adjust the editor with more options because there's so many different variables you have to consider in these type of games.

Collect items
Where are the items
Where and on what can you use the items
What happens when you use the items
What directions can you move in
Certain rooms/areas can have locked doors or blocked exits, what do you need to unlock/unblock
What if an item is inside something that you first need to open/unlock before you can see it
Do you need another item before you can use a certain item, for example you may need batteries before you can use a torch

... goofy;

Most games of this type "Text Adventure" are hard-coded, built around a lot of IF statements and all the text, items, maps coded in to the app itself, but that takes forever and can be mega complicated I think. The way I'm doing it is creating my text, items and maps in JSON data files and having an 'engine' that loads and determines what needs to be done when certain commands are entered based on the data and options given in the JSON file which is equally as complicated but will make the process much quicker and easier in the long run ...*Deep breath*

It's a challenge but I'm enjoying it all the same :P
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Usman55
Coding God...
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Update on what's happening.

Although my Stargate game was working quite well I decided to go back to the beginning and redo everything. I wanted that when I made my editor and main game code anyone that used it would be able to create their own game quickly and easily without much fuss...my current editor and game code wasn't really user friendly because I designed it around what I needed for MY game.

So I decided to rebuild it from scratch so it would be friendly for all.

The editor is now complete, saves and edits data just fine and all that needs to be done in the future is adding new data bits if/when needed.

Now I need to work on redoing the main game code itself so we can actually play a game.

I'm incorporating a game tester right in to the editor itself to save time, you just push a button in the editor and your game loads to test and play boogy;

Hopefully I'll have something working so you can have a play with it yourself in a day or two :D
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Ok here it is, the first "test" version of my text adventure game editor/maker

I haven't had time to make a guide or comment most of the options but you should easily find your way around and hopefully understand what the various options are lol.

Tip 1: Create your first map, select it from the list and then click a square "room" on the map screen to edit it.

Tip 2: Don't forget to hit the SAVE button after adding/editing rooms, objects and items.

Tip 3: You can test your game by hitting the TEST GAME button in the top-right corner
NewGameEditor.zip
Let me know what you think and any suggestions/ideas you may have :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Updated the editor with some short descriptions for the various fields and added some new options as well as the ability to add people and monsters.

Some new commands include: HELLO, STATS, ATTACK, GIVE

Examples: "Hello Peter", "Give Hat to Peter", "Attack the Bear with the Marshmallow"

Remember its still a work in progress and some commands don't work/can be dodgy, but it works quite well so far :)

This version also includes InfinityBlue for automatically download future updates.
CnSTAGameCreator.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Woot. Got the "monster" battles working using an old (Strength/Defence) formula I found in one of my older projects boogy;

Now what I need to do is create a easy to use module of some kind that can be added to any project to create custom games/interfaces etc.

THEN I can start making my game..finally :lol:
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Usman55
I hope you make your game soon. Now don't make me wait and get started :)
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
I've updated the editor again with loads more options and included some fields for coders who want to customise their own game UI.

I've also made a quick module that you can use to create your own game projects.

Works like this:

Download the module and add it to your project
Add a reference to "Systems.Web.Extensions"
Add a Richtextbox and Textbox to your main form

Then in your form_load event add code similar to this:
Code: Select all
DisplayBox = RichTextBox1
        InputBox = TextBox1
        Dim fo As New OpenFileDialog
        fo.Filter = "Game Files (*.map, *.tas)|*.map;*.tas"
        If fo.ShowDialog = vbOK Then
            LoadGame(fo.FileName)
        End If
Run your project and load a ".map" file you created using the editor and you can play your created game :)

Games are automatically saved as ".tas" files in a folder called SavedGames in your project directory, load this file when you want to continue playing your game where you left off.

The module includes some area where you can add your own code for various things.

It also includes custom options for the color of text that appears in the richtextbox.

The code is a bit messy but it's usable, if anyone can improve on it then please do and let me know what you've done :)
TextAdventureGameCode.zip
Possible opportunity for people to create custom UI's for other people to use, all that would be required is a game file to bring it to life.
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Well my game is once again under way and its almost ready to be played with once I finish off a few more little bits, then once I've got a basic game story written in the editor I'll upload it for testing.

I've added a few more screens and animations to the game to make it feel a bit more "interactive"

A DHD for when dialling off-world gates to different maps

A wormhole animation for when changing maps (makes you dizzy lol)

SGC dialling computer has been updated and has a ZPM indicator

So yeah I'm still working on it lol
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Still having fun creating the various screens for the game, nothing fancy but I think they look cool with their "animated" parts boogy;

30 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Work in Progress”