Gimp - 3D Penetration Text

Learn how to use software like Photoshop and Gimp to create your own custom graphics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Gimp - 3D Penetration Text
mikethedj4
View On YouTube

Stuff You Need For Tutorial!!!
Dots & Holes Patterns
dotsandholes.zip
Layer Effects Scripts - http://registry.gimp.org/node/186

NOTE: If you have any trouble trying to follow my instructions on how to create this text effect feel free to download, and look at the project file I created so it's easier to understand.

First off go ahead, and add some text to your document.
Right click the text layer, and select "Alpha to Selection".
Then head to Select/Shrink I shrunk mine by 4 pixels, but you can choose how much you want yours shrunk.

Now make sure you copy what's selected on your text right now, then hit delete.

Now paste what you just copied into a new layer.
Right click the pasted layer, and select alpha to selection.
Then make a new layer, name it dots, and then fill it with one of the dot patterns I created, that you can download from the link at the top of this tutorial. (I used the "Dots 15px")

Now change the layer name for the border of your text to "border".

Now the 3 layers we now have for the text we want to give them a bevel, so head to Script-Fu/Layer Effects/Bevel and Emboss... and change it to an inner bevel.

Now your image should look like this.

Now go ahead, and crop the text down, and you we are now done however I want to give this text a little twist, so if you'd like to go along with me feel free if not, drop down, and give me 20 lol Just kidding. Anyway go ahead, and merge the bevels together (just the black, and white layers), for example the border will be merged to it's own layer, the holes to it's own layer, and the inner text part in it's own layer.

Then duplicate the text border bevel you just merged, and then invert the holes so it looks like it has a bunch of dents.

You're final result should now look something like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kieken72
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Re: Gimp - 3D Penetration Text
Kieken72
Coowl :p
Is it the same with Photoshop ? :D
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Re: Gimp - 3D Penetration Text
mikethedj4
Well with PS you'd haft to maneuver around a little, but you wouldn't need a script for this effect, cause of the built in Layer Effects, but yeah you can easily make this in PS too.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “GFX Tutorials”