Gimp - Making A Userbar

Learn how to use software like Photoshop and Gimp to create your own custom graphics.
24 posts Page 3 of 3
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Re: Gimp - Making A Userbar
mikethedj4
Usman55 wrote:
Okay, I'll download GIMP then, but how much is the size of it? Actually, my ram is only 256 mb and now I'm going to buy more ram. How much ram should I buy? I mean I don't know anything about hardware, lol.
I'm running 2GB, and it works fine for me, but I'd rather have 4GB.

If you're running a computer that has 256MB of RAM that's one incredibly slow machine. I've messed with a netbook that had that much RAM, and 80GB of HDD space, and I couldn't stand it. I personally would've just threw it away, or upgraded everything if I had the money, but just get 2GB of RAM (recommended) or higher, and it should be good. It'll run on 1GB, but I'm not sure how fast it'd be. how much RPM is your hard drive???

Also Gimp is 21MB, and I recommend downloading it from here so you get the portable application, that way you can run it off of a flash drive, cd, dvd, or a external hard drive. The reason I use the portable version is cause when you use the actual installer, and you wanna uninstall it, cause you're upgrading, don't want it anymore, or for whatever reason; it'll leave extra files like most other uninstallers do for thier programs, and this just extracts Gimp into a folder called "GimpPortable" and you can move that folder to your flash drive, and if you don't want gimp anymore, you just delete that folder. Easy, and simple.
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Usman55
I downloaded GIMP once before and it worked perfectly. Anyways, I bought my computer in 2003 and in that time, it was the best one. My computer's RAM is 256 mb, Hard disk is maybe 40gb and other things I don't know. It works great for programming but nowadays its being pretty slow!
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

mikethedj4
I highly doubt perfectly, but me I need something extremely fast, and with 40GB of HDD space, which is really small for me, and 256MB of RAM it sounds to me it's extremely slow. If you have a recovery cd, then use that, and everything should be good, but make sure you back up your important files.
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Usman55
When I do programing and gaming, both on it, works extremely fast but when I download extra files they pile up on the memory and it becomes slow.
24 posts Page 3 of 3
Return to “GFX Tutorials”