Virtual Turning

Learn how to use software like Photoshop and Gimp to create your own custom graphics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
ManMega1
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Virtual Turning
ManMega1
Step 1
To begin, I’ll be using this photo. You can use any photo you like for this tutorial to create your own virtual tuned car using the techniques in this tutorial.

Step 2
Use the Pen tool to create a path around the body of the car.

Step 3
In the Paths palette (Window > Paths), right click on the path then choose Make Selection. You can feather the edges by 0.3 px (Select > Modify > Feather) for smoother results.

Step 4
Choose Edit > Copy to copy the selected area onto your clipboard. Open another picture of a car taken in a similar angle. This picture will be for the background and wheels. Paste the body (Ctrl + V or Edit > Paste) onto the image. Use the Transform tools (Edit > Transform> *) to rotate and position the body so that it covers the car.

Step 5
Using the Lasso tool, create a selection of the bottom of the car and the rims on the background layer. A rough selection is fine.

Step 6
Create a new layer in between the two layers and fill the selected area with black.

Step 7
Hide the top two layers and see if there are any parts on the car that you can use. For example, in the image we used, we’ll be using the wheels and the front body kit. We’ll start with the front bumper lip. Create a selection of this bumper with the Lasso tool.

Step 8
Press Ctrl+J to duplicate the selected area into a new layer. Move this layer to the top and use the Move tool to position it on the car.

Step 9
Create a selection of the bumper cutout. Remember to feather the radius by 0.3 px (Select > Modify > Feather) for smoother results.

Step 10
Fill the selected area with black.

Step 11
Now we’ll take some chrome bumper parts. Find an image with a chrome bumper part that you like. Create a selection of it using the Lasso tool then choose Edit > Copy to copy it to your clipboard.

Step 12
Switch back to the main document then choose Edit > Paste to paste it as a new layer. Use the Transform tool (Edit> Free Transform) to position and resize the chrome part onto the bumper.

Step 13
Take the other side of the chrome part from the image and paste it onto the main document. Use the Transform tool (Edit > Free Transform) to resize and position the part into place.

Step 14
Create a selection like shown below, create a new layer, then fill it with a dark gray color for now.

Step 15
Fill the area with a carbon fiber texture. You can use Google Image Search to find many carbon fiber textures. Once you’ve placed the texture into the selected area, set the blend mode to Soft Light and opacity to 30%.

Step 16
Use the Pen tool to create a path like shown below.

Step 17
Create a new layer then select the Brush tool and set the brush size to 2 pixels. Make sure that your foreground color is white. In the Paths palette (Window > Paths), right click on the path you just created then choose Stroke Path. Change the opacity of this layer to 20%. Repeat steps 16 and 17 for the two sides. Simply draw a path like the white areas below then stroke the path.

Thanks for viewing my tutorial.
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Re: Virtual Turning
hungryhounduk
Quality Tutorial that ManMega1 :)
I just love the Pentool as its just so handy, and you can do so much with it.

Great Stuff :)

Chris
zachman61
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

zachman61
never knew about that with pen tool thanks
Nailing my feet to the floor is easier than using my own muscles to balance, but you don't see me doing that :)
ManMega1
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

ManMega1
No problem zachman cooll;
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “GFX Tutorials”